Monday, December 12, 2011

$7.47 Comin' Out of the Sky!


Alright Folks, here's how this Blog is going to work:

Every time I buy an item/items from a store and the price makes me think "I wonder what happened that year?" I'm going to look that year up (Probably AD or CE whatever you say now, but if the BC is interesting it may make it) on Wikipedia and document what I find. If the items I buy are of importance I'll let you know too. If it's a future year, maybe I'll read the bones and make a prediction or two.

I bought this collection of things on a trip to my friendly neighborhood Enerbase (Cenex) in which Billy and I needed to use the bathroom there while ours was out of commission. If you want to know why I'll tell you but I won't launch into that unsolicitedly. (Is unsolicitedly even a word? I guess it is, that's twice and Blogger hasn't recommended against its use.) The chips, Coke, Nutty Bars, and Kool-Aid Burst (aka Kool-Aid Jammer) with tax came to $7.47.

When the price came up I sang to myself "747 comin' out o' the sky wanna da da dada da dada!" You know, just like that song from the 70s or whatever. And I was almost content to leave it at that and not worry about the year. But of course I have to. I'm a freak. And I always wonder what was happening.

In 747 AD Charlemagne was born. This claim is under dispute, says the Wikipedia article. He could have been born in 742 who knows? Who cares? Well, Europe probably cares. Pope John Paul II once called him the Pater Europae or "Father or Europe" because he was the king of everything (The Franks, the Romans, the Lombards) for a little while. He's also given credit for singlehandedly <---SARCASM kicking Europe in the pants with Art, Literature, and Religion as part of the whole Carolingian renaissance and junk.

At the same time over in Tang Dynasty China Emperor Xuanzong abolished the death penalty. Barbarians.

Ok, there you have it! Feel free to correct this (in fact PLEASE fact check!), add your own facts, or whatever via comments I look forward to it! Let's discuss, shall we?

4 comments:

  1. in 747 no one cared............... jay slash kay ell oh ell. Wikipedia is not a valid source...... says all my professors from the college on the river

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I know that Wikipedia isn't the best source. You should have your profs take a look and tell me whats up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Wikipedia. Forever. And I love that your blog has a second life.

    ReplyDelete